recipe | a winter frittata

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

4 comments
share:

We woke up to a fresh blanket of snow on the ground, and I thought it appropriate to make a recipe I dog-earred from the cookbook, One Pan, Two Plates by Carla Snyder. She has the recipe posted here on her website. I adapted it a bit to work with what I had on hand in my fridge and pantry. It's a super easy recipe, and you can really add whatever veggies/meats you'd like or have on hand!

WINTER FRITATA
adapted from One Pan, Two plates


I N G R E D I E N T S


6 large eggs

2 tbsp milk

salt & freshly ground pepper

pinch of nutmeg

5 slices of bacon

1 small onion, thinly sliced

2 large russet potatoes, diced very small

2 handfuls of fresh spinach

1 garlic clove

1/2 c crumbled feta cheese
D I R E C T I O N S


Heat broiler with rack in second position to the top.

In bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and nutmeg.

In oven-proof pan (such as a cast iron skillet), cook the bacon. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. Do not drain bacon fat from pan. When bacon is cooled crumble into small pieces.

Add the onions and potatoes to the hot bacon fat and cook until potatoes are tender (about 5 minutes). Add the spinach, and cook until wilted. Add garlic and a bit more salt and pepper.

Spread the filling evenly along bottom. Sprinkle bacon crumbles and feta cheese on top, and then pour egg mixture over the filling. Reduce heat to low, and cover pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Then uncover pan and carefully move it to oven. Broil the frittata until lightly browned and firm.

Remove from oven and let cook for about 3 minutes. Cut into wedges and enjoy!

Comments: